You probably know something about reverse sneezing in dogs and you are wondering why it happens and how you can put an end to it. Well, if you still want to know these things, you have come to the right page. We will help you learn how to stop dog reverse sneezing and include a few additional things you should know starting today. Don’t worry, this is not something extremely complicated nor dangerous so stay calm and try to focus on the basics.
Reverse Sneezing: What Is It?
Paroxysmal respiration is reverse sneezing. This means that a dog will extend his neck and head and pull the air through his nose rapidly. He will also make a snorting sound. In simple terms, it looks like a dog is trying to sneeze and inhale air at the same time. Once you understand the basics, you can learn how to stop dog reverse sneezing.
During normal sneezing, a dog will push the air through his nose rapidly and he won’t try to inhale. This is the main reason why this is called reverse sneezing and it can happen to all dogs. Keep in mind that small dogs with flat faces and also short noses are more prone to the condition.
The exact reason why dogs do this is not something we can share with you. Scientists still don’t know. But, most of them believe that it happens due to nose irritation, back of the throat, or even sinus passages. Other reasons why this happens include when a dog is stimulated or excited too much. These can be even more common reasons than the first one here and for some dogs, they can cause a lot of issues.
3 Methods You Can Use To Stop Reverse Sneezing In Your Pet
Let’s start with the main things you should know. Here we will teach you how to help your dog and how you can make him stop reverse sneezing. There are 3 options you can use and each one can help and should be something you will know, especially if your pet suffers from this on a regular basis. We will start with the simplest option.
Wait And It Will Pass
Yes, you can just wait and it will pass. Typically, these episodes last between 5 and 20 seconds. But, in rare cases they can last up to 2 minutes so don’t fear. During that time you may want to check out all the things that can cause reverse sneezing in your pet. Don’t panic or your pet will panic as well. See, they are much better at reading our emotions and behavior than we are. Tell him things like ‘’it is ok’’, or ‘’you will be fine’’.
Small Steps Method
This method is a bit different and it involves doing a couple of things to your pet so he can stop reverse sneezing. We will cover all of them and you should try all of them as well. It is likely that just a few or even one will work well hence you can know what this step is and use it the next time when a dog starts with reverse sneezing.
- Massaging his throat is the first thing you should do. If there is irritation, this will remove it and your dog will be fine. Be gentle and repeat this for a couple of seconds.
- Pinch the nose of your pet. This will disrupt the issue and cause your dog to swallow. As such, he may start breathing normally and he should be fine in no time. There is no need to tell you the obvious. Be gentle.
- You can carry your pet outside as well. Fresh air can do wonders and some dogs will stop immediately. This is the case usually when there is an irritant in the air that causes reverse sneezing.
- You can blow in his nose as well. Make sure you are gentle and you blow slowly not like when you are blowing a birthday candle. Repeat this a couple of times. It should break the cycle and help your dog breathe normally.
- Giving a treat to your pet is a nice and clever step. It will make your pet chew and swallow. This will probably end the reverse sneezing and will make sure your dog feels fine within seconds.
- Push the tongue of your dog using a finger or two (depending on the size of a dog). You will have to push it down and keep it there for a couple of seconds. It should open the airways and a dog will start feeling fine. Make sure that your dog is fine with you pushing your fingers in his mouth, especially when he is anxious due to reverse sneezing.
Get Professional Help
If nothing works you will need to get your pet professional help. There are a few things we need to mention here. For instance, you will have to record his behavior and also when it happens. Try to see if this happens only when your pet is overstimulated or excited. You can even record a video and show it to your vet.
In 90% of cases, a vet will tell you that this happens and there is nothing you should do. But, in some cases, he may prescribe medications to a dog. antihistamine is commonly present in this case scenario. These are mediations that will deal with allergens and help your dog breathe easier and eliminate the risk of something more severe. Some vets will also tell you to change the leash and a collar. Maybe these two are causing reverse sneezing.
The Final Word
With these simple steps and our guide, you will know how to stop dog reverse sneezing in minutes. Try all these methods and steps. Some will work immediately while for others your pet will need more time. In general, these are the same things that a vet will tell you hence you can be positive that they are safe and work well.