What Happens If Your Dog Eats A Balloon? As wandering nomads of nature, it is almost unavoidable that your four-legged will munch on something it is not advised to eat. They are talented creatures and famous for consuming almost anything that comes their way – no matter, good or bad.
Canines are desperate eaters and tasting a balloon should not be a surprising thing.
Balloon is made up of rubber or plastic, and it is definitely not the best diet for dogs. If your dog ate a balloon and you discovered it immediately, take him to a professional vet, without any delay. You have tracked it at the right moment, and there is still plenty of time to intervene before it results in a greater issue.
But, if you discover it late, contact a veterinarian and follow the necessary instructions. Note: Do not take your eyes of the dog. After all, they have eaten a balloon.
It is okay if you don’t find anything wrong with your poochs’ health or behavior, but they should immediately be taken for a check-up as the symptoms can reveal sooner or later.
What Happens If Your Dog Eats A Balloon?
When a dog consumes a balloon or any kind of foreign object, the owner typically has a 2-hour time window to intervene. Because after two hours, the swallowed contents start settling down the intestines, and time must simply pass before it is ejected through their feces.
Here the crucial thing is to contact a veterinarian and ask for advice. Depending on the situation, they may try to help induce vomiting. Unfortunately, this is not always possible, as the pet needs to be alert, and there must be no underlying medical conditions that could make such a procedure a threat to the animal’s life.
How to induce vomiting?
If you are asked to induce vomiting, offer them with some sort of food. This food will help filling their bellies and it is much easier to induce vomiting on a full stomach. The food serves as a natural lube to help the unwanted items pass through their system.
The dog must be given up to 3% of hydrogen peroxide with a needle less syringe. The amount is typically 1 milliliter per pound of weight and in any circumstance must never exceed the threshold of 45 milliliters at a time regardless of the dog’s weight. Calling a vet could play a role in determining the right amount of provision to the dog that ate a balloon.
Within the subsequent 15 minutes, vomiting should occur. If not, it is recommended to deliver one more dose. If it still fails, the owner should contact their local emergency hotline. Yet if it does occur, check if the barf contains the balloon.
Make sure to clean the area using the correct precautions as dog vomit contains harmful substances–especially to humans.
Afterward, unless instructed otherwise by a vet, the dog should be brought in for an examination along with the collected sample.
After a 2 hour time window, the item will pass through the stomach and to the intestines. At this point, the only thing possible is to keep an eye out for anomalies. More common signs of danger to spot include drooling, vomiting, lack of appetite, lethargy, and abdominal pain.
What causes a dog to consume a balloon?
Chewing and biting are ways that pets explore the world around them. Sometimes it just may happen that they swallow random objects even if they didn’t intend to.
If a dog ate plastic, sticks, or rubber as a one-off occurrence, it’s often nothing to worry about. Still, if the behavior is a frequent event, it may be a symptom of issues like pica.
By definition, the condition of pica occurs when the dog constantly feels an urge to consume non-food. Needless to say, it is quite dangerous because the animal places its body in major jeopardy in more ways than one.
Psychological causes include stress, anxiety, frustration, and depression, lack of stimulation or attention. Physical causes include inflammation of the bowels, stomach tumors, diabetes, anemia, malnutrition, or a gambit of infections.
Proper identification of the problem is essential to go along with the correct form of treatment. If you notice any of these symptoms, the dog should be taken care of by a professional.
The best precautionary step to take is to remove the dog from a toxic environment with any object they may be compelled to eat. Prevention is critical because pica often results in the animal requiring surgery.