If you have a dog or a puppy, you will need to read this. How do you get dog poop out of your carpet? First of all, even if your pet is well-trained, “accidents” can still occur. If that happens, or better said, when it happens, you should know what to do. There is much more information and details here than you may think, so you will need to learn a few basics and a few more advanced things in order to be successful in this and have 100% clean carpets.
How To Get Dog Poop Out Of Your Carpet
First Things To Know
Yes, you will obviously want to remove poop from the carpet as soon as possible. But, you will also need to remove pee and the scent. This is mandatory due to one particular reason. If your pet can smell pee or poop on the carpet, he will treat that place as his “bathroom.” In other words, he will probably poop and pee there once again, which means you will have to remove the waste and scent once again. The question of how to get dog poop out of your carpet is suddenly even more important than you may believe.
It is important to take care and take precautions as well. Here are a few points all dog owners need to implement every single time they do this. These points are:
- Always wear gloves in order to protect your hands and skin from harmful chemicals.
- Wash your hands once you are done, obviously.
- Using a disinfecting spray is mandatory because it will kill bacteria if they are present in the carpet.
- Dispose of the waste directly in the dustbin
Once you know all of this, you need to remember that this is actually common with some dogs. Dogs who have health-related issues and suffer from diarrhoea will probably poop more frequently on the carpet. Puppies will do the same. As such, you will have to prepare for this, and the guide we have right here is more than just effective.
Cleaning Dog Poop From All Your Carpets
An interesting fact is that there are two different methods that will depend on the type of poop. For instance, you will use one method if your dog has diarrhea and you will use the second if your dog has solid poop.
When You Are Trying To Get Rid of Diarrhea You Will Have To:
- Use a bowl to cover the area. This is done in order to let diarrhoea dry completely. As such, the method is far more effective and easier. If you try to remove liquid diarrhea, you will have so much trouble and make a massive mess. It is possible that you may have to replace the carpet!
- Use a paper towel to remove any solids that are present. It is crucial not to rub the poop, or it will get deeper into the carpet and the mission will be much harder.
- Use an old fork to scrape the dried poop. This may sound like a simple step, and it is. But it is also an effective one and can make a massive difference. Spend as much time as possible on this step.
- Once you are done, vacuum the area. Make sure there are no small fragments left and the area looks perfectly clean once you are done.
- Mix vinegar and water. Use a paper towel and apply the mixture to the area. This is done in order to remove any liquid that is left and also to remove the stain. The method is old but still works well.
- Apply baking soda to the area and leave it overnight. This step has a lot to do with the smell. In the morning you will see that the smell that earlier was present is completely removed.
- Vacuum once again. This is done to remove all of the baking soda, and as you will agree, it is mandatory.
- Now you will have to apply disinfect spray that is used to kill any bacteria that may have been left on your carpet. Apply a bit more spray than you may believe is necessary. It is a mandatory step.
The second part here, or better said, removing solid poop from the carpet, is much easier.
There are not a lot of steps, so we won’t waste your time with irrelevant stuff. All you have to do is pick up the poop and dispose of it. Then apply disinfectant spray and let it dry overnight. You are done.
Removing Poop Stains From Your Carpets
Removing poop from carpets is just half of the story. Many dog owners are then left with stains that are annoying, look awful, and in some cases forced the owners to replace the whole carpet. How to get dog poop out of carpet seems even more important right now. Anyway, you will have to follow these steps.
- The first step is to apply a cleaning solution. You can use a special solution that is sold in many pet stores. But you can also mix white vinegar (one tablespoon) and liquid dish soap (one tablespoon as well). Add 2 cups of water as well. This is actually an excellent solution and the one that works well in most cases. Apply the solution to the carpet. Always bloat the solution using a paper towel. Don’t rub.
- Now you will need to blow the cold water to the carpet. Use a clean piece of cloth to bloat the water once done.
- Apply baking soda and leave it there for 10-15 minutes. The baking soda is used to remove any smells and also helps with removing the stains.
- Vacuum the area and you are done. Your carpet should look much better now. If it doesn’t, repeat all the steps. Some stains are persistent and will require a lot of time.
Removing Dog Pee From Any Carpet
Well, if your dog poops on your carpet he will likely pee there as well. If this is the case, you need to know how to remove pee and bad scent, once again. The process is actually similar to removing diarrhea poop from the carpet but there are some smaller differences. As usual, follow these steps.
- First of all, use an old towel or piece of cloth to soak any liquid. Yes, there will be liquid present almost always.
- Mix water and vinegar, and then apply it to the stains. Use these two ingredients in equal amounts.
- In this case, using a scrub brush is always a nice and clever idea. By rubbing with the brush, the solution will penetrate the carpet and make the whole process far more effective. Just make sure to cover the whole area.
- Blot the stain right now. Use a dry paper towel or piece of cloth. This is a mandatory step and one that has huge importance.
- Allow the carpet to dry, and once it is completely dry, apply baking soda. You can apply as much as you like. Keep in mind that the baking soda must be applied to dry carpet only.
- Mix hydrogen peroxide and washing up liquid. Use one tablespoon of washing-up liquid. Then, apply the mixture to the stain.
- Once again, use a scrubbing brush to make sure all the pee and the bad scent are completely removed from the carpet. Yes, you will need to rub hard, and you will need a lot of time.
- Once the area is dry, vacuum the carpet. This is to remove any traces that may have been left.
Removing Urine Scent
Same as with poop, if a urine scent is present on the carpet, your dog will likely pee there again. This is something you will want to avoid if you want to have more free time to spend with your pet and not scrub. And yes, you will need to follow these steps. Luckily, there are just four of them.
- Mix white vinegar and water (50:50) and use it. Vinegar is an effective method of removing the bad smell from almost anything.
- Apply the mixture to the area and wait for 10 minutes. The idea is that the carpet will absorb as much liquid as possible.
- Now you will have to use a clean piece of cloth (you can use a paper towel as well) to soak any liquid.
- Apply baking soda to the carpet and leave it there for 10–20 minutes. After you are done, vacuum the area to remove the carpet. Now you are done.
Still want to know how to get dog poop out of your carpet? As you were able to see, this is far from a simple, one-step solution. It is actually a process. That’s why it is much better to prepare a special room for your puppies and train your dogs to pee and poop only outside. It is one of those training options you will want to use right now.