Training your dog is one of the best things you can do with your pet. The whole process can be fun but it is always time-consuming. Certain tricks and commands are more appealing than others. How do you train a dog to walk beside you? This is a common question and the one you will want to know all about.
You will need a leash, treats, a lot of time, and patience. The training can last between 3 and 6 weeks depending on the dog and method. Below we will explain the most effective and therefore the best methods for this particular piece of training.
Method 1: At My Side
This is the most common and usually the most effective method. It is the one most of you will try first hence it deserves to be here as the first one. How do you train a dog to walk beside you? Follow these 5 steps.
- Pick the side is the first thing you need to know. Your dog will always walk on that side. Most owners will choose the left side but you can be different and choose the right side. Your dog cannot walk on both sides!
- Use a common leash of the standard side. This is ideal because it will keep you in control but still give your dog a bit of room. There is no need to add that your pet must already be familiar with a collar and a leash. We assume you already completed this training.
- Call your dog. Once he comes to the desired side, give him a treat. Repeat this as long as possible. Use treats that your dog loves. Using the wrong ones will make the whole training impossible. A dog will refuse to do something when he can get a treat he hates.
- Start with the ‘’side’’ command. Carry a leash at this point. A dog will come to the desired side and you will give him a treat. Keep in mind that you should use healthy treats due to the fact this training can last and your pet will eat a lot of treats.
- Now is the time to go outside. Call him and issue the command. Use the leash and if he obeys you, give him a treat. Make the walks longer and longer if your pet behaves.
Method 2: Take Off
This is another method that is popular and works well. For some owners, it is even better than the first one hence you may want to try it. It also has 5 steps.
- Hook the leash and start walking immediately. Now, call out his name. Your dog will want to try and catch you. If he does, give him a reward. Once again, try to manipulate him to walk beside you on the side you want.
- If a dog doesn’t catch you, slow down. You can also use a treat to lure him. Repeat this a couple of times. Do not yell at your dog or show signs of aggression. Some dogs will be scared so they will not come to you! This applies to all pieces of training you may want to complete.
- Once he catches you, just walk and use the command you like. ‘’Side’’ is still the most popular one. But you can use ‘’walkies’’ as well. It is up to you.
- Soon your pet will be on your side all the time. Now you will have to change directions. You can even walk in a zig-zag pattern and allow your pet to follow you. This works well and he will want to stay next to you.
- All you have to do now is practice. The main thing to know is that this is difficult for your dog. He wants to sniff anything he can hence this training is hard. Be persistent.
Method 3: Meet The Collar
This is the last method we have to offer. It is very effective with certain dogs and it has been more than just appealing. If the first two methods don’t work with your pet, try this one.
- If your dog didn’t use a collar and leash, allow him to do this. Start with a collar. After a few days, add a leash. He should be able to move around the house while dragging the leash attached to a collar. This is mandatory as you can assume.
- Every single time when you attach the lash, give the same command and then give him a treat. The command can be anything you like but ‘’side’’ is the most popular one.
- Just walk outside and try to keep things fun. Lure him with a treat and when he comes to the desired side, give him the treat and praise him. Repeat this as many times as your pet needs. Some dogs will need a lot more time.
- Practice even more. Always carry a few treats with you and tap your leg if he gets distracted. Reward him when he obeys you. You can even do this inside the house until you are comfortable to go outside.
- Make the walks longer and longer. As the dog adjusts to the training, you can see that he obeys you even more. The goal is to be able to have a very long walk and he will stay close to you all the time.
The Final Word
Some training is hard and some are simple. How do you train a dog to walk beside you? There are 3 methods you can use. Pick the one that works best for your pet and you. Give your pet a lot of time and be patient.
This is medium in difficulty training hence you can imagine that it will take time. Always keep in mind that you must stay persistent and you must not stop until your dog knows how to walk beside you when you issue the command.
Have you ever wonder how many teeth a dog have? Find out!