Here we have one question that all owners who have puppies need to know. When can puppies eat dry food without water?
Below we will give you the answer, obviously and we will cover all the other, related topics and facts you need to know. In general, this is a mandatory fact to know, it is simple and there are no a lot of things to worry about. But, you need to transition slowly and keep in mind a few points.
When can puppies eat dry food without water?
The simplest answer is at the age of 8 weeks. By then, they should have all baby teeth and they can eat dry food without any issue. However, this cannot be completely generalized. For instance, large dog breeds can eat dry food before 8 weeks. On the other hand, smaller dogs should start after 8 weeks.
As you would assume, there are a few more things to know. First of all, not all puppies will start eating dry food immediately and enjoy it. Despite the fact it is healthy for dogs, some puppies may refuse. You will have a problem if that happens.
Just in case, always get safe and high-quality dog food for your puppies. It must be free of additives, grain-free, and free of artificial chemicals as much as possible.
Ideally, you will opt for dog food that has a high protein concentration. Puppies do need this type of food and they will love it. It is crucial to remember that puppies will not start eating dry food only. This is a massive transition for them and in general, you will need up to one month.
Some puppies will switch completely to dry food sooner, while others need even more time. A proper, healthy and high-quality food for puppies will make sure they develop faster, better, and properly.
Adding water to dry food
Most dog owners want to know about adding water to dry food. This isn’t mandatory but it is recommended. First of all, your puppies will eat more dry food and they will enjoy it better. Dry food with water tastes better. Always add warm water in small amounts to make a paste from the dry food.
Make sure not to leave the food in the water for more than 30 minutes. It can go bad and it can make your puppies sick!
This is a normal part of the transition and something all dog owners should do. If you notice that your puppies are eating dry food without any water, you don’t have to do this. Just keep in mind that they started eating mother’s milk first which is liquid.
At 4 weeks of age, his milk doesn’t contain enough nutrients needed for proper development so they must start eating wet food. At age 8 weeks, they should start with dry food.
Slowly decrease the amount of water you use. The ideal way is to decrease 10% of the water used every 3-4 days. Gradually decrease the water until your puppies eat dry food without any water and they enjoy it. Once again, we can see that they will need up to 1 month or slightly more to accept this type of food.
Wet and dry food: Pros and cons
In essence, both types of these foods come with pros and cons. There is no perfect food. Anyway, below we will explain the main advantages and downsides of both types so you have a complete picture of these foods and know what to expect.
Advantages of wet food:
- This type of food smells and tastes better and it is the gravy that makes it appealing.
- It is loaded with water so it offers better hydration. This is a mandatory advantage for dogs that run a lot but do not drink plenty of water.
- It helps them maintain a proper weight because wet food keeps dogs full for a long period of time.
Downsides of wet food:
- It will stick to the teeth of your pet which can cause numerous issues.
- Storing this type of food is far more complicated and time-consuming. It needs to be in a refrigerator and properly stored at all times.
- It will make your room messy. Puppies will eat from their bowls and from the carpets or the floor.
Advantages of dry food:
- It is much easier to store safely and there are no complicated processes in this case scenario.
- Dry food isn’t bad for the teeth of your dogs. It won’t stick to the teeth and cause tartar.
- There are more options on the market simply because dry food is more popular.
- It can be placed and kept in a bowl for a long period of time so your pet can eat when he wants.
Downsides of dry food:
- Puppies must have plenty of time to get used to this food which is a time-consuming process.
- It isn’t loaded with protein which isn’t suitable for super-active dogs.
So, which option is the best? You may know that the best alternative is a mixture of these two foods. By using this option, your dog or a puppy gets all the pros of both foods but not all the downsides. This is something that many dog owners do and they have been more than just satisfied with the overall result.
The ideal answer depends on your dog. If he doesn’t like wet food, you should switch to dry food. If he likes dry food only, you should use it more frequently. Even then, it is advised to give them wet food sometimes as a form of a treat. Most dogs will be perfectly happy with the outcome.
The final word
When can puppies eat dry food without water? The answer is after 8 weeks. However, this is a process that needs transition and plenty of time. Start with adding water to the dry food and slowly decrease the water. Above, you have all the related answers so you can create the best option for your pet.