Who doesn’t like to nibble some juicy, delicious grapes? We all do, right? The same goes for our lovely fidos. They also want to enjoy this yummy treat. But can dogs eat grapes?
Well, the answer is a big fat no. Grape may look appetizing but are amongst the most dangerous treats your dog can ever have. The consequences of eating grapes or raisins can be pretty devastating for the lovely little pal. Your doggo may develop kidney failure or other severe health concerns leading him to fatality.
This article will find out what makes this fruit so toxic and why you should never share grapes with your furball.
Keep on reading to save the adorable snuggle buddy!
Can dogs eat grapes?
No. They cannot.
Grape, either peeled or seedless, is highly toxic for your canine’s health. It should never be included in a healthy dog diet. The same is the case of raisins or dried grapes.
You might think, why are grapes so harmful? Well, we are still not aware of the exact reason behind this toxicity, but many dog owners have experienced their pets suffering from kidney failures after eating raisins or grapes. Researchers are trying their best to determine whether these issues are caused by some parasites or fungus; nothing is clear yet.
Symptoms of grape toxicity
Let’s face the fact. Eating anything in front of the little pooch without sharing a spoonful makes us feel guilty. The bright-eyed fella expects his hooman to drop something on the floor for him, even if it is a grape. But that’s what causes the trouble.
If your puppy nibbles on one or more grapes, he may exhibit the following symptoms:
- The most apparent sign of grape toxicity is decreased appetite. You may have to keep an eye on his bowel to know whether the pup can finish his meal or not.
- Inability to stay active, laziness, and weakness are some other red flags of grape toxicity.
- Many dogs cannot digest grapes in any amount. Their bodies display immediate and severe responses. Most pet owners have found their fur babies vomiting within a few hours of grape consumption. Others have reported vomiting plus diarrheal illnesses making their pet extremely uncomfortable.
- Abdominal pain or tenderness in the abdomen.
- Dehydration. You can test if the pup is dehydrated by looking at its dry nose and pale gums. Another way to examine dehydration is by gently pulling the skin at the back of the canine’s neck. If your dog is dealing with dehydration, it will never spring back immediately.
- A pup dealing with grape toxicity either drinks and pees a lot or finds it hard to urinate at all. In severe circumstances, dogs can face a complete cessation.
- Kidney failures leading to extreme outcomes, including fatality.
What can I do if the pooch eats grapes?
If your loyal companion eats a grape, immediately concern proper veterinary care. The best practice is to take your furball for a formal medical examination right away.
The symptoms, mentioned earlier, can be caused by some other illnesses. It’s better to seek proper medical care if you are unsure what’s causing the pain. Only a qualified veterinarian can provide further guidance so let the professionals do their work.
The toxic substance available in grapes and raisins is still not known. Until further research, it’ll be a wise decision to avoid feeding grapes to your furball. We don’t want to see them in constant pain or discomfort, agree?
Always remember treats should only be 10% off your canines’ daily calories. If you wish to treat your lovely pal in a way he deserves, consider giving him treats specially formulated to meet his nutritional requirements.
If you have another 5 minutes, check out my other posts: